Lab-IA accounts do not have password. The only way to connect to an account requires a SSH key. The following tutorial will explain how to create SSH keys.
How do SSH keys work#
SSH uses asymmetric cryptography. It allows the server to authenticate you without sending sensitive information over the internet.
How to create a SSH key#
- On a terminal, type
ssh-keygen -t rsa -b 4096, then press ENTER,
- When asked where to save the key, press ENTER,
- Type a passphrase, then press ENTER,
- Re-type your passphrase and press ENTER again.
You know have a file named id_rsa in ~/.ssh/.
Nota: memorize your passphase, as it is not possible to retrieve it if forgotten.
Using git command-line tools#
- Download and extract Git for Windows Portable,
- In folder PortableGit, run git-bash.exe,
- See the GNU/Linux explanations.
Using an existing putty key#
You must convert your putty SSH2 key to the OpenSSH format used by ssh servers to authenticate remote users. If you dont have access to a Linux/Unix machine, install git command-line tools to have
ssh-keygen installed on Windows.
More about SSH#
You can find more about SSH configuration on DigitalOcean website.